Sunday, September 19, 2010

Lymelife


Had the pleasure of seeing this at Toronto and Sundance. I’m a festival rat and do not usually comment on movies. But this film struck me in different ways on both viewings. The first time I was consumed in all of the performances, which are spectacular. The second time I was wrapped up in all of the symbolism. The reflection shots, the little fake houses, the spiritual references, the overall tone of the movie that was set by the director and his brother. Is this a perfect movie? It’s as perfect a movie as you will find on the premiere festival circuit. And when I found out it was filmed on a tiny budget, I was even more impressed. It turns out to be a funny and moving story that makes you laugh a lot. The director is funny, the actors are all funny and the music is amazing. Every scene that had a song in it was completely amazing. Martin Scorsese is the producer of the film and the director is clearly a big fan. There’s violence, emotion and a lot of humor. It’s not about the mafia but it has a Sopranos feel to it. I can’t put my finger on it, but it’s there. To sum it up, it has some very heavy scenes but those scenes are peppered with hilarious moments. So it’s never too dark or too heavy. It plays like a film from the 1960’s or 70’s. Heck of a job. I want to see more from this filmmaker.


No comments:

Post a Comment